Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dandelions, sticks and mud....

I went on a nature walk with around 30 kids this morning.  It was supposed to be my job to keep the children on the trail and make sure the kids could find special items along the way and put them into their paper sacks. All the children were excited to go on this adventure!  I, on the other hand, couldn’t quite figure out why so many would be so happy to walk along a SIDEWALK and find things. These children were wonderful; they looked “outside the box” or the sidewalk to find their gems of nature.  One child took my hand and led me to a tree with leaves on it that even I thought were huge. We folded it and put it in his bag.  Another child was excited to see some bark had fallen off the tree. She rubbed her fingers along the rough spots and then handed it to me to feel too.  As I felt the bark she pointed out to me all the colors on it.  It didn’t take me to long before I wished I had a bag of my own.  The children found beauty in everything.  Things that I look beyond everyday!  Dandelions, sticks, grass, rocks, mud and the list could go on forever. Infact everything to them, had a perfect beauty.  Those children will never know that it was my lesson this morning. It was my job to make sure they found special items, but they didn’t need any help, I did! I will never see the world as I had before.  I love working with children, they bring you a little closer to the Lord everyday!

“Blessed are pure in heart, for they will see God.” – Matthew 5:8

1 comment: